How to access Twitter in Turkey after government blocks
Friday, 21 Dec 2014. Written by Darryl Hall.
Twitter has officially been blocked by the Turkish government today. The Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is enacting revenge over the recent wiretapped recordings that were leaked on the Social media site.
Roughly 10% of Turkeys internet users are active on Twitter (about 7.5 million users) and from today have no way of accessing the website or App's within the country. Instead online browsers trying to access www.twitter.com will see a statement from Turkey's telecommunications regulator (TIB).
It seems a week doesn't go by without a country taking some form of action with censorship or removal of online freedoms.
Internet censorship in Turkey isn't anything new though.. The current turkish government have faced major criticisms over the highly sensitive reactions to defamation and other ‘inappropriate' online content.
Similar to China's Great Firewall, the Turkish government control access over internet content through ‘Turk Telecom's' centralised control portal.
Notable past censorships have included…
2010 Internet Censorships
- Google services (Docs, Translate, Books & Analytics)
2011 Internet Censorships
- Rapidshare.com / Fileserve.com
2015 Internet Censorships
2015 Internet Censorships
How to access Twitter.com in Turkey 2015 with the current censorship / blocks
Using a VPN is the best method and ensures full, open access to the WWW securely and anonymously. This is an important point, as accessing blocked websites within Turkey is illegal, so anonymity is a real requirement.
VyprVPN has recently launched the world's most powerful VPN protocol ‘Chameleon' to combat even the most highly censored content out there. Chameleon even works in China and with it's new architecture cannot be detected by the Turkish government censoring engine.
Below are our 4 easy steps in getting a VPN connection active in Turkey, with you being online in under 10 minutes
Benefits of VyprVPN are as follows…
- Unlimited Speed & Usage (You can download 10TB or 1000TB per month, it doesn’t matter as there are no restrictions!)
- Works on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Android (They have Apps as well)
- 700+ Server Clusters in the United States, Europe, Asia & Oceania (In the US connect to either Austin, Los Angeles, Miami or Washington)
- Free online storage with DumpTruck (10GB with basic and 50GB with Premier)
- Fully anonymous and undetectable within Turkey
- Highly secure (256bit)
|| STEP 1: Choose your VPN plan from VyprVPN, month plans start from ₺11 ($5 US) for first month (50% discount) with a 3 day free trial so you can test it out before paying for anything.
- Click here to go to the VyprVPN product page and select the plan (there are 3 options, we use pro, but basic works fine).
- Type in your details in the boxes provided, create a username and password, then continue to the payment page and pay for your selected service. It’s billed monthly and you have 3 days to try VyprVPN out, before payment comes out.
- Once processed, you will have an account immediately available. And remember your username and password (username is always your email address).
|| STEP 2: Download the VPN software and install on your PC / Mac, iPhone or Tablet.
- You can download the software here.
- If you have a iPhone or iPad, go to the iTunes App Store on your device, and search for ‘VyprVPN’ and click install.
|| STEP 3: Login with your username and password and connect to a server outside of Turkey (Romania is the best)
Now, remember your username and password you created earlier (email address is your username). Open the VyprVPN software up on your PC or Mac and it will prompt you for your login details, enter them, then choose the server you want to connect to.
If you are installing the App on your iPhone or iPad (or Android device), then enter your login details when you open the App for the first time. Once you click ‘Connect’, you will be automatically connected and everything you now do online is anonymous.
|| STEP 4: Connect to Twitter.com to test it works
Just visit twitter.com is your browser or any other websites that are usually blocked. Voila! It all should be unblocked.
Just remember to buy your VPN access through our link, as it currently lets you get 50% discount off your 1st month with VyprVPN from Goldenfrog.
I hope you enjoyed this article, if you have any tips you can share with us then please tell us through the comments below!!